We raised four sons without a vaporizer. I am of the opinion that they are mainly good for helping parents feel they are doing something useful for their child with a viral infection. I don't think there is anything too inherently bad about the devices per se. If you're going to use one:

  • Use a cool mist one - don't risk a splash burn to you or much worse, your child. The child can grab the electrical cord and pull it over on himself.
  • Don't put "medicine" in it. The "medicine" just gums up the vaporizer and smells up the room (well, I guess that is actually the function of it).
  • Clean the thing often with bleach. Mold can grow in the vaporizer and throw off spores that can wreak havoc with the allergy prone child or adult.

Night, Night! Dr. Hull's Common Sense Sleep Solutions© Copyright© Site Information/Disclaimer